Family Law

General Information

Family Law Courts have jurisdiction over all cases involving dissolution of marriage, legal separation, nullity, paternity, domestic violence, child custody, visitation, and support.

Clerk’s Office Expansion of Services


Clerk Phone: (707) 207-7340

Court Services: (707) 207-7344

Child Custody Recommending Counseling Scheduling: (707) 207-7347

Hours: Mon - Fri: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM ,1:00 PM - 3:00 PM (Phone)

Hours: Mon-Fri: 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM (Drop-in)

Hours: Mon-Fri: 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM (Appointment)

Facilitator's Office: (707) 207-7355

Hours: : The facilitators office is offering Same Day Appointments on a First Come First Served basis. To contact their office email

phone and visiting hours exclude court holidays | holiday schedule

Hall of Justice
600 Union Ave,
Fairfield CA 94533

phone and visiting hours exclude court holidays | holiday schedule


Domestic Violence happens in many forms between two people in an intimate relationship. Physical violence includes kicking, punching, shoving, slapping or striking in any way that hurts your body. Sexual violence includes unwelcome touching, fondling or forced intimacy. Emotional violence using coercion or threats and anger to create a controlling and fearful relationship.


There is a domestic violence form packet available on a forms rack located outside of the Family Law Division Clerk’s Office and the Solano Legal Access Center or it can be downloaded at The forms packet is complete with instructions and is free of charge.

See Local Rule 5.4 for information on how to file an ex parte emergency hearing. There is no fee for submitting a domestic violence restraining order. All ex parte applications and domestic violence restraining orders must be completed and ready for submission before 12 noon each day.

If you represent yourself, it is YOUR responsibility to prepare a Findings and Order After Hearing Judicial Council Form FL-340 or other applicable order. You may purchase copies of the minute order from the hearing at the Family Law Division for a charge of $.50 per page. The minute order can provide you with information needed for your order after hearing, i.e., the Judge’s name, the department, date and specific orders made by the Judge. If you need help completing your order please contact the Family Law Facilitator (SLAC).

The process of obtaining a divorce begins when you file the initial papers. Your dissolution is not complete until all disagreements are settled, you have prepared and filed all necessary paperwork with the court and you receive a Notice of Entry of Judgment. You are not divorced until your judgment is filed and entered by the court. A person is able to remarry only after the judgment has been entered ending your martial status. The earliest date marital status can be ended is six months and one day after the Respondent was served with the Summons and Petition for Dissolution. It is the responsibility of either or both parties to prepare and file all documents and bring your case to Judgment. It is important that you seek legal advice if you have any questions.

Absolutely not! In California, there is a MINIMUM time of 6 months and 1 day from the date the Respondent is served before a divorce can become final. You must also have all the necessary forms filed before your Judgment can be entered. If you have legal questions consult with an attorney or the Family Law Facilitator (SLAC).

There may be a time, even years after your divorce, that you need a copy of the divorce papers. To get copies of divorce documents call or email the Family Law Division or ask for a copy to me mailed to you. To request a copy by mail, send us your written request, including your case number if you have it. If you do not have your case number, include in your letter the first and last names of both parties and the approximate year of the divorce. This information will help our office locate your case number. Include a check or money order payable to the Solano Superior Court in the amount of $15. If you do not need a certified copy we recommend sending a check not to exceed $20 to cover the copy fees of .50 cents per page and a self-addressed stamped legal-sized envelope with enough postage to mail you back your documents.

If you have an existing case, please bring your case number, the names of the involved parties and any documents you want to file. There may be applicable filing fees or if you qualify you may request a Request to Waive Court Fees and Costs Judicial Council Form FW-001 and FW-003. The Family Law Division accepts cash, check, Visa, Mastercard or Discover card.

Paternity is the legal determination of fatherhood. Establishing paternity is the legal process of determining the biological father of a child. When parents are married, in most cases, paternity is established without legal action. If parents are unmarried, establishment of paternity requires a court order. This process should be started by both parents as soon as possible for the benefit of the child(ren).Until paternity is established, the father does not have the legal rights or responsibilities of a parent. Establishing paternity is necessary before custody; visitation and child support may be ordered by the court.

There are filing fees associated with the initiation of a new case, except Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Elder Abuse and Department of Child Support cases. If you cannot afford to pay the filing fees, you may request a Request to Waive Court Fees and Costs (FW-001) and (FW-003). Forms are available for you to download at the California Judicial Council’s website: